≡ Menu

Halle Berry Plays Dispatcher in Upcoming Movie

For the first time, America’s public safety dispatchers will have a feature-length movie of their own when Actress Halle Berry appears in the “The Call,” opening March 15th. The movie tells the gripping story of a Los Angeles (Calif.) police dispatcher trying to save a child from a crazed kidnapper. In the movie trailer, Berry’s character appears in a techno-center wearing a fashionable LAPD polo shirt, talking to women who were the victims of the kidnapper. The movie was directed by Brad Anderson, who has done several low-profile movies, several episodes of the “Fringe” TV series, and several other TV shows. According to Sony/TriStar, “When veteran 911 operator, Jordan (Halle Berry), takes a life-altering call from a teenage girl (Abigail Breslin) who has just been abducted, she realizes that she must confront a killer from her past in order to save the girl’s life.” In the still released by the studio, Berry is squeezing a red stress ball as she sits at the console. Check the IMDB Web site for the complete cast information and the movie’s official Web site. Update: The movie premiered March 16th to decent reviews that liked the first two-thirds of the movie, but thought the last one-third was improbable.

7 comments… add one

• Diana Sprain January 15, 2013, 7:21 pm

The preview looks good. DId they have dispatchers as technical advisors?

• Manny January 18, 2013, 5:26 pm

I hope Halle does our jobs justice!

• Kelley February 24, 2013, 2:10 pm

After seeing the movie trailer – I invited my dispatchers for a movie date night. I wish all of them could attend but some have to keep the city safe.
    Would love to have the technology seen in the movie trailer – lets hope people don’t think all dispatch centers are this hi-tech.

• Darren March 19, 2013, 4:45 pm

Saw the movie last weekend. While it does give people a look into the lives of 911 dispatchers, the movie left me disappointed. We are not vigilantees and do not go hunting down the “bad guys”. We are on the other end of the phone to gather as much detail as possible and have the trained professionals take care of the rest.

• Jamila March 20, 2013, 8:43 am

I really enjoyed the movie. The small vigilante part (referred to above), was a stretch but the movie was very accurate when depicting the stress of the job, call taking procedures, training, and adapting to changes in an incident.

• Rebecca September 5, 2013, 3:49 am

I loved this film it left me on edge and made me realise how much these people taking the calls have to go through. The end like others said was far fetched but yet I still found it one of the best parts of the film. you have to remember its not a true story movie so the fact it left me on edge and shocked means that the movie achieved what it was clearly meant to achieve.

• Roniel December 5, 2013, 9:21 am

After seeing the movie with my boyfriend of him not really knowing what goes on in the Life of a 911 Dispatcher. He really RESPECTS us more because of the movie not knowing that what he saw is really what we do except for the ending of the movie (lol). It really gives a good insight. It lets the world know that 911 is real and that we are here to HELP.